16 March 2009

Braised short ribs

I've been dreaming about making braised short ribs for a long time. I'm glad I did. While they were serious tasty business (the sauce was outstanding!), in the end, the ribs were just a little too fatty for me. I will make this again with a less fatty cut of meat.

Regardless, if you are a fan of short ribs - and I know many of you are - I highly suggest you try this recipe. Mario Batali's braised short ribs? C'mon, you know they're gonna be good. This dish is too easy to mess up, the prep is really fast, and the aroma that fills your kitchen can't be beat. These ribs make a big, hearty meal, perfect for a party (you can mingle with your guests while the meat braises in the oven).

mise en place

first brown the ribs

then brown the vegatables

add the wine, tomatoes, and chicken stock

when done, the meat will be falling off the bone


roasted brussels sprouts round out the meal

Braised Short Ribs

adapted from: Babbo Cookbook


4 16 oz beef short ribs
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups red wine (Mario suggests Barolo, I used a Cabernet Sauvignon I had lying around)
1 16 oz can of whole, peeled tomatoes (with juice), crushed by hand (I used San Marzano tomatoes)
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 bunch each rosemary, oregano, and thyme (I tied them up with butcher's twine for easy removal later)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large dutch oven, heat some olive oil on high heat. Season the ribs (liberally) with salt and pepper on high heat until browned all over. Remove the ribs from the pan. Add the carrots, onion, celery, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned and soft (~5 minutes). Add the wine, tomatoes (with juice), and chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to dislodge browned bits). Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and place in the oven for ~2 hours (meat will be falling off the bone).

I served the ribs over buttered orzo with roasted brussels sprouts.

No comments: