21 May 2009

Pork tenderloin with spicy carrot fries

There's been too much sweet stuff on this blog lately. I don't want to give you the wrong idea -- I like cooking much better than baking. So today it's back to the savory business.

I adapted this recipe from one I saw in Bon Appetit magazine; the original recipe called for baby carrots and jalapeno, neither of which I had. Instead, I used regular old carrots, skipped the jalapeno, and added some cayenne pepper. I also changed up the rub for the meat based on what I had available. The recipe included reflects what I actually did.

The meat was tender and flavorful and the carrots, which ended up a lot like oven-baked 'spicy fries,' were really good. I think these carrot fries would make a great side dish for a bleu cheese burger....YUM!

Pork tenderloin with spicy carrot fries
(adapted from Bon Appetit, April 2009)

Carrot fries:
2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped like fries
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Pork:
~2 lbs pork tenderloin
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

Arrange carrots in a single layer on a baking sheet. Whisk together the water and remaining ingredients, then add to carrots, tossing to coat. Cover with foil and roast carrots until almost tender in a 400 degree oven (~20 minutes).

While the carrots are roasting, prepare pork by combining the spices and rubbing all over the tenderloin. Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet, and brown the meat on all sides. Once browned, remove the foil from the carrots and nestle the meat among the carrots. Roast the pork and carrots uncovered ~ 2o minutes (or the meat reaches 140 degrees). Remove from oven and let rest 5-1o minutes before slicing.

No comments: